The antagonism between liberalism and democratic processes is increasingly visible amidst the contradictions of capitalist globalization today. This is seen in authoritarian measures being adopted by so many states, as well as in concepts like post-democracy gaining currency in theoretical and political debate. The 2018 volume of the Socialist Register on Rethinking Democracy was conceived as a companion volume to the 2017 volume on Rethinking Revolution. No revival of socialist politics in the twenty-first century can occur apart from founding radical new democratic institutions and practices.
- The struggle over actually-existing democracy
- Women: linking lives with democracy
- From Hayek to Trump: the logic of neoliberal democracy
- Can the Democratic Party really be transformed?
- The media: bad news, public broadcasting and digital democracy
- New democratic practices: Mondragon, Barcelona, Kerala, South America
- The relationship between Marxism, liberalism and radical democracy
Contributors: Greig Charnok | Alex Demirovic | Natalie Fenton | James Foley | Des Freedman | Ramon Ribera Fumaz | Adam Hilton | Sharryn Kasmir | Cristobal Kay | Martijn Konings | Ian McKay | Tom Mills | Dennis Pilon | Nina Power | Paul Raekstad | Pete Ramand | Sheila Rowbotham | Leandro Vergara-Camus | Michelle Williams