Now reissued with a substantial new afterword, this highly acclaimed overview of Western attitudes towards the East has become one of the canonical texts of cultural studies.
Very excitinghis case is not merely persuasive, but conclusive.
- John Leonard in The New York Times
His most important book, Orientalism established a new benchmark for discussion of the Wests skewed view of the Arab and Islamic world.
- Simon Louvish in the New Statesman & Society
Edward Said speaks for interdisciplinarity as well as for monumental eruditionThe breadth of reading [is] astonishing.
- Fred Inglis in The Times Higher Education Supplement
A stimulating, elegant yet pugnacious essay.
Excitingfor anyone interested in the history and power of ideas.
- J.H. Plumb in The New York Times Book Review
Beautifully patterned and passionately argued.
- Nicholas Richardson in the New Statesman & Society